8.02.2008


Cooper has had a rough week this week. Over the weekend his nose was really runny and snotty. I didn't have a bulb to clean it out so I (and everyone else) was on constant kleenex duty. I had a feeling that with all that congestion and no way to clear it out he might end up with an ear infection, which of course he did.

I called the new doctor on Monday and explained his symptoms which also included congestion in his eyes. We made an appointment for Wednesday morning and I rearranged my work schedule. I am not sure that I have blogged about my change in doctors, but we are working with a new one named Dr. Cahan who is an allopathic physician that also incorporates homeopathy and natural health alternatives into her practice. But the down side is the wait. We have been there three times now and had to wait in the tiny examining room for an hour each time. After the first visit, I was prepared and brought all kinds of toys and snacks, but it was harder this last time because Cooper wasn't feeling well. Plus while we were waiting, Cooper filled his diaper TWICE and it was very watery (do people reading this care about poop as much as I do?). When the doctor finally joined us and I told her his symptoms, she went straight for his ears. And, indeed, he had an infection on the left side.

But, she didn't give us the standard response of "here is an antibiotic, take it." Nope, we chose her because we knew from others that she would recommend alternatives... specifically a chiropractor. And she did. She recommended seeing a chiropractor ASAP but gave me an antibiotic too. Because his diapers were so bad, she was worried that the antibiotic might make that even worse. Plus she recommended some aromatherapy that included eucalyptus oil (for congestion) and lavender oil (antibacterial).

We did it all. I have had many many many reports from unrelated people regarding unrelated incidents where kids were "cured" with chiropractic adjustment. From ear infections to nursing problems, everyone has a story. So, Danny took Cooper to the chiropractor that afternoon. After receiving Danny's report though, I was worried that it wasn't going to help. The doc said that normally kids with ear infections have alignment issues in their neck, but Cooper's only area that needed adjustment was in his lower back. Using my highly analytical brain, I didn't see how the lower back would affect the ears, so I wasn't hopeful. Also, the doc did some kind of "laser" therapy at key trigger points. Danny said it looked like he was scanning bar codes on the baby.

So, what was the result??? I ended up starting the antibiotic Friday. :) Dr. Cahan said if his ear infection was better his snot would turn clear and that his poop would get better. Well, those things did kinda happen... but we also gave him a breathing treatment twice which probably helped the snot and his poop was not watery, but still not normal. I guess the poop thing is what made me decide to give the medicine. I just can't live with that mess for extended periods of time.

As a result of ALL that, Cooper was home Thursday and Friday. His diapers look better this morning but there is a new development. Another tooth! I saw a third tooth appear on the bottom in addition to the two new teeth plus two more breaking the surface on top. Holy cow, this is all going to be related back to cutting teeth!!! Forget lower back alignment, he just had a new tooth!

No comments: