12.16.2008

This weekend Danny ran in the White Rock Marathon. His first time to run in this particular race was last year when he ran the relay. He was so energized by the whole atmosphere there and touched to see people pushing themselves that he decided he would run a longer distance this year. He started training last January and ran his first half-marathon in April. On Sunday, despite his recent foot problem and the warm, windy and humid conditions, he finished the race AND achieved his goal of running it in 1 hour and 50 minutes. Pretty amazing really.

Cooper and I were down at the finish to congratulate him and I have to say that the vibe truly is amazing. There is such a sense of achieving goals after long struggles. It makes me think that maybe I might run it next year… almost. But not quite. It is actually mornings like today when it is 25 degrees outside that I realize I am not made to run like that. Danny trained this year on evenings when it was 100 degrees at 7pm and on mornings when it was 40 and raining. I mean, come on… that is either dedication and will-power, or just pure crazy! Honestly, I know several people who will say he is definitely crazy, but either way he did it and we are proud of him… but will opt for cheering him on to the finish next year too. :-D

Now that's not to say that I am anti-running. In fact, I have started running again. When Danny and I started dating he trained me to run and I was running about 2 miles a day for a while. I worked up to 3, but that was as much as I was willing to do. Especially when it got cold. Over the years I have run some and then stopped and then run some more, but never back to the great shape I was in then (poor Danny). But now, in an effort to get healthy again, I have started running again. I still have a ways to go but I found some renewed incentive over Thanksgiving.

I previously posted about going to Austin on Thanksgiving. What I may not have mentioned is that we did the Turkey Trot with Danny's family. Britt ran with Waylon, Heather had Ford, I had Cooper, Danny ran on his own, and GrandMother walked with us. It was a great time. So, Heather, GrandMother and I start off on the 1 mile route walking with the strollers. But everything changed when Ford saw all the people (children too) running! Naturally, he wanted to run too. So, he got out of the stroller and Heather ran the whole mile with Ford.
Looking into my crystal ball, I can see the next few years unfolding in front of me and I see Cooper wanting to run the Turkey Trot like Daddy. I dont plan on ever running the 8 mile route in Dallas, but I want to run the 3 mile route with him and then he can run the biggie with Daddy as he gets older. That means that I am running again so Cooper doesnt leave me in the dust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Danny - very impressive! I need to put a marathon on my 'to do' list as well... Until then, Steph, think about coming down to do The Danskin Triathlon with me in June!!