7.12.2009

A couple of months ago, MaMaw sent an email to all the daycare moms discussing a plan for potty training the toddlers this summer. We were instructed to provide 6-9 pairs of underwear with our children's names inside. The plan was to strip them down and play outside in their undies and if they happened to wet themselves, then they would be alarmed and, eventually, determine it is better to pee in the potty than to pee all over themselves.



This did seem like an excellent idea, so I provided the necessary underwear with Cooper’s little iron-on name tags and everything. However, about two or three weeks into the effort, Cooper’s bag came home with all the undies inside. The consensus is that Cooper isn’t quite ready. He is one of the younger kids in the group and MaMaw has always treated him like he was older (hence his current level of genius), but I wondered how he would do. Honestly, we have tried a bit of potty training here, but he is not really interested… and to be frank, neither am I. Actually, changing diapers is not that big of a deal by comparison. The whole idea of making trips to icky public restrooms and figuring out haw to battle germiness is not something I really look forward to yet. I think I would prefer if he would just start standing right now and skip sitting altogether.


And maybe that is a possibility… this weekend he has peed standing-up out side three different times. I don’t mean an accidental, oh my! I mean it was a strategically planned moment… he announced it, moved into position (the same one each time… unfortunately, it was on the deck) and stood for a moment before letting it go.












So, this makes me think that maybe he CAN just start standing up. In fact, we tried standing up at the potty this weekend and he wouldn’t go. I think it was because he wasn’t in the mood. I have to figure out how to capitalize on his whims so that when he is ready I can whoosh him into the potty.

More to come…

1 comment:

Heather Hardeman said...

Trust me, diapers are so much easier at this stage of the game! Public restrooms are more than gross when you have a little cherub in tow. He will let you know in no uncertain terms when he's ready to 'go like a big boy'...then it's easy! Until then, best of luck with the new challenge!